Saturday, February 6, 2010

I recently installed Google Desktop so that I can actually find things on my own computer. One of the doodads (technically "gadgets," like the inspector) I added is a daily quote from my hero, Albert Einstein. The first few quotes have been nothing to rave about, but today's is an idea that I think is very important and severely under-appreciated:

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."

I have conflicted feelings about the value we place on what we call patriotism because I'm not quite convinced patriotism isn't just a pretty word for nationalism. The politicians would have us believe they are completely different; patriotism is a genuine and noble impulse, not at all like the ignorant, destructive nationalism that those other countries feel... Sounds like propaganda to me.

For similar reasons, I also have very conflicted feelings about the micro-nationalism we so encourage among our students. Of course, again we don't call it that; it's "school spirit" or "home town pride." I must say, I don't feel any particular sense of pride over the town I grew up in, or for that matter the country where I was born. After all, it isn't as though being a citizen of the United States or of Rhinelander, Wisconsin, is some sort of accomplishment for me; I happened to be born to parents who lived there rather than Madrid or Benares. For that simple coincidence I feel fortunate and lucky, but not proud.

My concern over the encouragement of "school spirit" is that this kind of small scale nationalism (tribalism, selective apathy) may quietly serve as practice for the real thing. It prepares the mind for more serious business like killing people because someone tells you to, without confirming for yourself that they are truly dangerous to you or those you care about. In my view, the difference between the crazed fan in the stands screaming abuse at the opposing team and the brain-washed fanatic who picks up a rifle or straps on an explosive vest is not a difference of kind--only of degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment