Thursday, March 18, 2010

Strong convictions

My Einstein quotes are beginning to repeat themselves with disappointing regularity, so I added several other general quote gadgets to my google desktop thingy. And was it ever worth it! Some funny ones, some kind of silly ones, and then this: "Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies." -Nietzsche strikes again! I have very, very strong feelings about what I've always called Belief. I honestly think it can be seen as the most harmful of all human capacities.

Okay, apathy. But what's the foundation of apathy? The deep-seated belief, the conviction, that those other people aren't like us, that for all intents and purposes they aren't really people.

How about vengeance then? Or anger, or hate? These are all based on an ego-centric belief in one's own essential and exclusive rightness--that is, confidence in one's convictions, which amounts to self-righteousness.

Why is it that three-quarters of Americans say they oppose the current health care bill, when most of us actually like the components and ideas that make it up? I think it's because of a loud minority with few real productive ideas, but with lots of very strong convictions.

It seems to me that if we all cared more about the pursuit of real truth and justice than about defending our own convictions, the world, as they say, would be a better place.

And I really believe I'm right about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment