Tuesday, January 18, 2011

garbage garbage garbage

EVERYTHING goes in the trash here. No recycling whatsoever. I've become so accustomed to recycling, office paper in particular, that I'm finding it quite hard to adjust to. There's a dump outside of town. A little troubling; I feel terribly guilty whenever I accidentally print an unnecessary page or have to print a new copy of my schedule because something has changed. It's genuinely troubling; I feel it in my heart.

On the other hand, how much fuel would it take to ship any meaningful quantity of recyclable materials OUT of here. Hmmmm...

5 comments:

  1. My school is like this too.... and we have recycling facilities all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about fixing your phone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carry it out on your back, sweetie. You've got snow shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lack of recycling occurs in Mexico too. It's quite an adjustment for me while we visit my folks there. I feel guilty and want to take all my recycleables back to the states with me!! Not too practical though. While, in the U.S., appliances are thrown in the trash, in Mexico you will see cars and appliances stripped down to nothing. Parts are re-used!!! It's refreshing to see this resourcefulness!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. However, paper is the EASIEST thing to re-use! Shopping lists, fire starter, directions, note jotting, printing unimportant stuff, etc.!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete